Following Your Bliss When The Bliss is Money

My co-worker and I got into a heated argument. I mentioned my goal is to finish nursing school, work as a nurse for 15 years making tons of money and then retire on my ranch to rescue dogs…that is, after I travel to every National Park in my RV! She asked why nursing when I don’t even like people! I said I am working now for $15 an hour in a job where I don’t like people and have to deal with them, why not do it for $75-90k a year? She said that it’s a shame to be working toward the goal of making money! I should be doing something I like and the money will come, follow my bliss and I would never have to work because bliss isn’t work! When I asked how well that was working for her, the subject suddenly was changed! I asked how much she loved listening to people complain about health insurance but she rushed off in a hurry. Imagine that!

 

This did get me to thinking: what is wrong with delaying the bliss following? For the first time in my life, I have a long-term goal in view. Sure, working full-time and going to school is hard and I might have to sacrifice an hour or two with the Desperate Housewives or Jack Bauer to study. It will be worth it! Put up with a few nasty family members? That can’t be any different that someone cussing you out because they didn’t’ bother to get pre-approval for their MRI and now they are getting a bill!

 

If I am going to not LOVE what I am doing, I might as well make money while I am doing it! That way, I can have enough money to be blissful in retirement. I may not be following my bliss now, but if I keep on this path, there will be plenty of bliss as a result.

 

Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.
Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

0 comments: