Youth, Wasted On The Young

I've been thinking lately about the decisions we are faced with when we are young. The fashion dos and don'ts, keep the cool superficial friends or the uncool yet interesting loser ones, meet curfew or be grounded, go to the prom or party with friends at a kegger not sanctioned by any parental units, get a job or not have a car....all perfectly stressful decisions for a teenager, right?

 

There is a reason why college isn't mentioned in that list. It is because I didn't really stress over whether or not to screw around in college, I just screwed around. I never took it seriously. I did well in the fun classes and flunked/dropped out of the boring, yet mandatory, ones. Mom said I would regret that one day. Did I listen? No. I had no time to worry about the future, I was having fun! I did just enough to get by and live at home…that is…until I left home and college altogether.

 

Life is funny. The older you get, the wiser your parents become. Mom was right, school is important. She also was right in that it gets harder to complete the older you are. When you are young you don’t have to worry about working, your TiVo filling up, your dogs missing you because you are either at school or at work. You don’t have to worry about finding time to study or if the bills are getting paid! Parents took care of all that pesky life stuff. All I had to worry about was studying but I was having too much fun to see the big picture. Life was so much easier back then.

 

I sit every week and see kids making the same mistake. They talk about blowing off tests and dropping out of classes. They are planning parties, downloading movies, not a care in the world. I’m jealous. I want to go back and do school over without the worries I have today. This is what I wish for the kids in my class. I hope they learn the value of education before they are in school in their 40’s, listening to the kid next to them plan the next kegger.

 

Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.
Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

1 comments:

Selena said...

I think that going to school when you are older has its advantages too. When you are older, I think you are better able to concentrate on school and are less distracted. Plus all the experiences you have help you to connect to the material you are learning better. Nice post and I love your new blog! :-)