Surprise!

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. Oh boy, did I live this addage two weeks ago! I left work planning to spend the weekend studying for my mid-term. 24 hours later I was in the ICU at Northridge Hospital, dehydrated, borderline septic and looking at emergency surgery to fix a diaphragmatic hernia. What?? I am someone who never goes to the doctor. I am remarkably healthy, but it is God given and not because I am acting responsible for my health. Needless to say, I have never been to the ER.

I hadn't been feeling well and thought it was the overly spicy burrito I had eaten at midnight. The diagnosis at Urgent Care was gas. A $40 prescription for Previcid didn't help because 12 hours later I still felt crappy. Sunday afternoon, as my roommate and I were discussing whether or not to spent the $100 copay and go to the ER, I felt a searing pain shoot across my body and up my left shoulder. It felt like someone was slicing me open with a burning hot knife. I broke out instantly in a cold sweat and the question was answered. We were off to the ER.

The average wait in a L.A. County ER is 4 hours. I knew I was seriously in trouble when I got in after 45 minutes. I was severely dehydrated and had a very high white count. Luckily for me, I was busy concentrating on breathing through the pain otherwise I probably would have been terrified. I was just happy to be out of the misery that is the ER waiting room and on the way to having the problem solved. After a CT Scan, X-Rays and an Ultrasound, the culpret was found: I was born with a hole in my diaphragm and my bowel, stomach and intestines had moved up through the hole causing it to tear right behind my heart. The great thing is that once they knew what the problem was, I got drugs....good ones...morphine...wahoo! Relief!

I had surgery the next morning. I remember being woke up, wheeled into the surgery room and then waking up in recovery. The surgery was a success. They tried to do it laproscopicly but got in and found the hole was too big so I was opened up all the way. (I have a lovely scar that runs from the top of my chest to my belly button, no bikini in my future). They put a mesh wiring over the hole and pulled everything back down where it is supposed to be. I even have a DVD of the aborted laproscopic attempt! Cool!

The next 3 days were spent in the monitored care unit. I was hooked up to the heart monitor, catheter, IV and oxygen! This was the real deal. The day of surgery I slept. I remember 5-10 minutes of Gossip Girl but that is it. On my second day I was sitting in a chair and walking with the nurse without a walker. I only went a few doors down but by the time the physical therapy staff came, I could do two laps around the unit with the walker. This is probably why when Selena, Robert and Shannon came to visit, I could barely stay awake. Well...the walk and the morphine! On the third day, more sitting and walking and less morphine. Fourth day, doc came in and asked how I felt about going home! I said great! He said my progress was remarkable but there was no real reason for me to stay. Fine with me! I was home to watch Grey's Anatomy on Thursday night and actually stayed awake to see it.

Recovery is a work in progress. I feel less and less pain every day and last night I was actually able to sleep without a Tylenol PM! I can bend over but still am not supposed to lift anything. I am back to work next week and I am actually looking forward to it. Cabin Fever assists you in appreciating having somewhere to go everyday!


It has been two weeks...just two weeks... but I am feeling better and better every day. I am grateful for my health and will take a more active role in maintaining it! Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.
Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

0 comments: