The Best Phrase

I have discovered the best phrase. It is very simple but can speak volumes. It is 8 words that mean freedom when I use them to let my Mother know I don't want to play her game. The phrase? "I love you but I have to go"



My mom and I have a rocky relationship. Our phone calls used to inevitably end with one of us in tears, mainly me. Now, when she starts the blame game, I use the simple phrase that sets me free: "I love you but I have to go".



I called her tonight to see if she could send my unemployed brother the grocery gift card we seem to be taking turns sending. She said she would, I said I would try and send $20 in a week, she got on me about it not being enough, I said fine, she said that was hateful, I used the phrase and hung up. Done deal! I made the request on behalf of my brother, achieving what I set out to do. Using the phrase minimized the collateral damage that is usually a result of a call like that!



I love my Mom, I truly do and now I have found the best phrase to allow myself to keep loving her.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.
Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

0 comments: