The Best Thing About New Years

The best thing about New Years Day is that it gives us a reason to take stock of where we have been. This year is special because it is the end of a decade.

Ten years ago I was still in my apartment. I still weighed 347 pounds and had yet to visit Rocky Peak. I had just started working at HealthNet and school wasn't even on the radar. I was miserable and lonely. I didn't really know much about myself.

It is amazing how much things can change in 10 years. I am living with a wonderful roommate, I have been out of health insurance and back again and I am grounded in my faith. I am 100 pounds lighter and have restarted my education, going back to school so I can become an RN.

I have also learned a lot about myself in the years between 34 and 44. I have learned I a heart for volunteering, dogs and God. I learned only you can permit others to disrespect and take advantage of you. I have learned happiness comes from things that aren't material. I became a better person.

The best part of New Years day is taking a look at where we have been because this allows us to also think about where we are going. It allows us to see the best is yet to come.

Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.
Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

0 comments: