Impulsive No More

In the little slice of heaven known as the weekend, we are not tied down by the restrictions of the work week! If you are like me, single-no kids, during the weekend you are free to go where the wind blows! You are free to change whatever plans you are silly enough to make in the first place!

Case in point: today! I had it all planned out. I was going to get coffee, go grocery shopping, and then hang out in the backyard with my boys and "The Time Travelers Wife". Lovely and relaxing, right? Then I saw Shan's text: John Mayer...Troubador...tonight! Wrist bands handed out at noon!

That, my friends, is why I have an empty fridge, an unread book on the night stand and I am at The Troubadour waiting for John Mayer to play about 5 feet in front of me! It is because when I get an email saying one of favorite musicians is playing a show in a club in West Hollywood....a small club...I am free to pick up and go!

I have always been impulsive and have done whatever sounds good at the time! However, now these decisions are going to have consequences that effect my future! I'm going to school to study for that career that will eventually let me retire and travel the rest of my life! I can't blow off a paper, test or final to go clubbing....even if its Mayer! Gone is the freedom to pick up and go to New York to see Bon Jovi or being able to waste time hanging out in bars hearing my friends bar band launch into the version of "Sweet Home Alabama" that they are sure will change music as we know it! All spare time from September until 4 years from now will be study time!

I worry about that potential loss of freedom but I am comforted by the knowledge that is temporary. I will keep my eyes on the prize. The prize is turning 70 and not being encumbered by the restrictions of working or restrictions of not having money to do anything. If I do this career change right, I'll retire with the rest of my life to do what I want and the money make it happen.

I haven't lost freedom, I am just putting it on hold for awhile! It is cool I am free to make that decision.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.

Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

0 comments: