Goodbye Michael

I am a member of the original MTV generation. I have many memories of my discovery of the channel like bargaining with my mom to get cable, promising A's and a clean room. I remember staying up that first weekend non stop, transfixed to what I was sure was proof that God is a music fan: 24 hours of these 3 minute visual and aural masterpieces. Videos! I couldn't tear myself away! It was so bad my mom eventually had to put a one hour a day maximum on MTV watching! Duran Duran "Rio", Bryan Adams "Cuts like a Knife", Devo "Whip It", all have visual pictures in my head thanks to the early days of MTV.    

 

But my favorite MTV memory stems from an afternoon my friends and I spend around the TV in our living room, waiting for the first "long form" video. It was longer than 3 minutes, a mini movie! I remember thinking how cool it was and watching it over and over, even though I was more of a rocker than a pop music fan! I do love an event, however, and the debut of the video for "Thriller" was definitely an event!

 

When I heard the news today that Michael Jackson had died, I was taken back to that day in the living room. I felt sadness that one of our musical legends had gone but considered the legacy he left behind. Not the strange tabloid one, but the musical one. From his days with the Jackson 5 to "Off The Wall and "Thriller", Michael Jackson leaves behind a musical history that is timeless.  Some of my favorite songs include "ABC", "Want You Back" and "Shake Your Body Down To The Ground", songs that make me smile, make me dance to this day!

 

I am glad I have memories of MJ that extend beyond the tabloid stuff. To me he is a great pop music maker. He was one of the greats and will be missed. RIP, Michael!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.
Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

0 comments: