Hero On And Off The Court

I am watching the NBA Finals today and a familar face pops up on the screen! Seeing him reminded me of a time not unlike now. The city is going crazy! Merchandise on every corner! You couldn't go anywhere without people talking about the Lakers! And the one player on on everyone's lips: Magic!

I had no idea what I was getting into when I watched my first Laker game. The year was 1985 and I was crazy about Richie Sambora and hanging out with my friend Howard, both guys huge Laker fans. So I thought I would see what all the hoopla was about.

It was an exciting time to be a Laker fan and Magic was leading the charge with teammates Worthy, Rambus, Green and Coach Pat Riley I immediately became enthralled with the guy smiling up and down the court! The "junior sky hook" and his ability to obtain the "double double" almost at will made Magic a joy to watch. I loved watching Magic as he and Kareem Abdul Jabar led the team to the first of two consecutive championships, the first franchise to achieve that milestone! Through Magic and the Lakers, I discovered the excitement of professional sports, a love I have to this day!

Magic continues to be an inspiration even after leaving the NBA. He works tirelessly to bring business to the intercity with his Magic Johnson chain of theatres and since his disclosure of having HIV, he has been speaking on behalf of AIDS research and funding.

I admire Magic not only for his grace and talent off the court but his bravery off the court. He shows us that an HIV diagnosis doesn't have to keep you from being legendary. Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.
Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

0 comments: