Workplace Hero

What makes a great boss? I think a great boss is someone who takes the time to mentor, who trusts in your abilities and has your back as much as you have theirs. I also love a boss who doesn't micro manage and leaves you alone to do the work. Some bosses are good, others are great and few are exceptional. I have been very blessed to have several good bosses but have had only one exceptional boss.
 
We "grew up" together, so to speak. When the new provider transfer department was formed at Health Net, Andrew was tapped to lead the charge. A Marine who was taught to lead by example, Andrew gave us all room to grow. He established from day one that he would always have our back if we worked hard for him. He didn't micro-manage, he worked hard and he inspired us! When ever management would come in to try and get in our way, Andrew would run interference.
 
I thrived in this atmosphere! Andrew taught me the value of looking up information instead of just asking questions and rewarded me with additional responsibilities and projects. He would give me pieces of the project puzzle and let me figure out how to complete it! I loved this! Under his management I found that I like administrative work, projects etc. and liked my job so much, I was promoted 3 times over 4 years! Andrew gave me confidence in my abilities and encouraged me to use them to the full extent!
 
Andrew was not only a great boss but a really good guy. Devoted to his family and his football team, he brought good values into the workplace. Andrew always told us to treat the members as if we were working on the behalf of a family member. He told us that "if we can show we acted in the member's best interest, he would always back us up". Those statements say as much about Andrew the man as they do Andrew the boss.

I eventually left Health Net and Andrew behind. I had a boss that came close to the greatness that is Andrew but not close enough: she laid me off! :)
 
Andrew is a hero to me because he taught me that it is possible for hard work to be rewarded. The only thing is that he has set the bar so incredibly high that I don't know if I will ever find another boss like him!  I must admit than when I heard that Andrew recently got laid off himself, I prayed our paths would cross once again! I can only hope!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile Like this post? Please share it, bookmark it or leave a comment.

Digg
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Newsvine
Twit This
Share on Facebook

0 comments: